Who We Are
The Health Systems Node (HSN) of the National Institute on Drug Abuse Clinical Trials Network is based in
Kaiser Permanente Northern California's Division of Research and
Kaiser Permanente Washington’s Health Research Institute in Seattle. The HSN includes
14 additional health care delivery systems with embedded research departments throughout the United States. The 16 health care delivery systems in the HSN finance and provide care to a diverse population of over 19 million people in 12 states. The addiction and health services researchers, epidemiologists, and physicians working within these health systems are committed to working together and using electronic health records (EHRs) to advance prevention and treatment options for people with substance use disorders.
- Our goals are to improve access to care for the many people whose substance use/substance use disorder (SU/SUDs) are unrecognized, overlooked, and/or untreated and to improve acceptability of SUD treatment, thereby reaching more people.
- Our long-term vision is for health systems to address all patients' SU/SUDs in an integrated, effective manner and to offer a range of innovative interventions.
The HSN research agenda is focused on:
- Identifying effective practices for care of patients with SU/SUDs
- Designing and testing sustainable ways to integrate those practices into medical care
- Developing and disseminating high quality methods to support this research
our current projects
To improve screening and treatment of people suffering from substance use disorders and the understanding and management of substance use disorders through a closer connection between research, practice, and policy.
The Health Systems Node of the Clinical Trials Network, through support from the National Institute on Drug Abuse aims to:
- Identify research questions that matter to patients, healthcare providers, and healthcare systems
- Efficiently answer those questions involving real-world patients and providers
- Disseminate and implement research results
As part of the larger Clinical Trials Network (CTN), we share the values of:
- Scientific excellence
- Innovation and creativity
- Actionable research findings
- Collaboration and teamwork